The Sierra Platform
Know Your Code
Sierra is a bug management platform that helps developers deal with the often overwhelming number of findings produced by popular source code analysis tools when analyzing large codebases. For example, a typical 1MLOC app may yield close to 50,000 individual findings. Developers know that some are critical while others may be insignificant or spurious. Sierra is designed to help you quickly zoom-in to the findings that matter to you, to handle them rapidly, to see what's new and different from the last scan, and to coordinate activity across a team, in harmony with existing ALM tools and software development processes.
It comes bundled with a suite of popular open-source analysis tools, along with a proprietary scanner and the capability to integrate additional analysis tools. It installs as a single IDE plug-in, providing a unified, multi-tool perspective on the code. It has a powerful GUI to enhance developer productivity. Additionally, it can be directly incorporated into an automated build process, with results easily browsed and acted on by team members. Finally, it generates reports and metrics to help team leaders gain visibility into their development process and better coordinate the handling of analysis findings.
Sierra consists of an IDE plug-in and a Team Server. The plug-in is compatible with Eclipse 3.2+ and IBM RAD 7, with other IDEs on the way. The Team Server can be installed in three ways: (1) on a developer's local machine for smaller projects or for trial purposes, (2) on an on-site team server, or (3) hosted by SureLogic in a SaaS model.
IDE Plug-In Highlights
- Bundled with multiple scanners. Combines multiple analysis engines (including FindBugs™ and PMD) to scan code for bugs.
- Quick search. Makes it easy to filter and prioritize findings.
- Configuration. Lets you configure input rules for the analysis engines.
- Queries/Diffs. Persists analysis results, audit trails, and comments in an embedded database for fast and easy queries and “diffs.”
- Easy start-up. Installs in less than 10 minutes.
Team Server Highlights
- Collaboration. Team members can share audit trails, comments, scans, and findings.
- Snapshots. Reports on current code quality and contributions made by team members.
- Time-series. Team members can assess progress over time and set team goals to achieve.
- Configuration. Enables teams to centrally configure multiple IDE clients.